Totoro is a character from the movie “My Neighbour Totoro“. His character is so well known that I knew about him and who he is without ever watching the movie for years. Totoro is such a simple character: happy, lazy, sleepy, cute, and kind, making it no surprise he’s the favourite character of many! I knew I had to make a costume because he is so iconic, and who doesn’t want to be all cozy for Halloween in a giant sweater?! No uncomfortable, tight, or high maintenance problems here! Plus, if it’s cold where you live like it is in Canada, you’ll love this costume!
Some links in this post may contain affiliate links. With no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission from purchases. Thank you for supporting Eva Chung!
What you need:
- grey hoody
- grey felt
- white felt
- black felt
- double sided tape, glue gun, or sewing thread
How to make Totoro:
- Place large sheet of white felt over front of the hoody, and trace out his belly. Cut it out.
- Depending on how permanent you want this to be, tape, glue, or sew the belly onto the hoody.
- Trace out his chest fur lines onto a piece of paper, and cut out 7 from the grey felt. Attach onto chest.
- Trace and cut a large circle out of white felt, and a small circle out of black felt. Attatch together, and onto the hood.
- Trace 4 long ear-like shapes onto grey felt and cut it out.
- Sew or glue 2 long sides of the ears together. Repeat with the other pair.
- Stuff ears with cotton.
- Sew or glue the open end of the ears shut.
- Sew or glue the ears to the hood
And then you’re done! You have your own cozy, DIY Totoro costume!
If you had your own pet Totoro, what would you name him?
Looking for more DIY projects? Check these out:
- Spiderman: Venom Symbiote Make Up Tutorial | Halloween
- DIY Halloween Costume | Mike Wazowski (Monsters University)
- DIY Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen’s Wedding Dress Costume | Halloween
Follow me on Instagram @itsevachung for more updates!