Totoro is a character from the movie “My Neighbour Totoro“. His character is so well known that I knew about him and who he is without ever watching the movie for years. Totoro is such a simple character: happy, lazy, sleepy, cute, and kind, making it no surprise he’s the favourite character of many! I knew I had to make a costume because he is so iconic, and who doesn’t want to be all cozy for Halloween in a giant sweater?! No uncomfortable, tight, or high maintenance problems here! Plus, if it’s cold where you live like it is in Canada, you’ll love this costume!
What you need:
- grey hoody
- grey felt
- white felt
- black felt
- double sided tape, glue gun, or sewing thread
How to make Totoro:
- Place large sheet of white felt over front of the hoody, and trace out his belly. Cut it out.
- Depending on how permanent you want this to be, tape, glue, or sew the belly onto the hoody.
- Trace out his chest fur lines onto a piece of paper, and cut out 7 from the grey felt. Attach onto chest.
- Trace and cut a large circle out of white felt, and a small circle out of black felt. Attatch together, and onto the hood.
- Trace 4 long ear-like shapes onto grey felt and cut it out.
- Sew or glue 2 long sides of the ears together. Repeat with the other pair.
- Stuff ears with cotton.
- Sew or glue the open end of the ears shut.
- Sew or glue the ears to the hood
And then you’re done! You have your own cozy, DIY Totoro costume!
If you had a pet Totoro, what would you name him?